5.20.2016

Goat and Cauliflower Curry (or lamb)



so it has, once again, been a long time since my last post. Some people recently asked me for my goat curry recipe so I figured I might as well put it here. This curry is somewhere along the tikki masala/makahni spectrum. It may not be the most authentic recipe in the world but we like it and we often use this sauce for chicken as well (there will be at least enough leftover sauce for a couple of lunches)

This recipe uses an Instant Pot which is a fancy electric pressure cooker my wife wanted (and I use) but you could do this in any pressure cooker or a slow cooker or even braised in the oven.

Ingredients:
4 tbsp Butter
1 inch knob of ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, grated
1 onion diced
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
2 cans coconut milk (could use cream)
1/2 cup rasins (can substitute some sugar or brown sugar)
1/2 cup chopped cashews
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
~ 1/2 tsp your favorite curry powder*
minced chilies if your family can tolerate spicy food. alas, mine can not.
1 tsp salt - i usually add less and then tweak it once it's cooked.
2 lbs goat, 1 1/2 inch cubes. (can substitute lamb)
1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets

*For my curry powder I'll usually take Madras brand (in a silver tin in the Indian section at kroger) and add some ground fenugreek and cinnamon. I've tried a couple that I've gotten from Indian groceries an one was good, one was a different style than I was looking for. I don't really know what to ask for and it also means a trip to a separate store. If you have a suggestion for your favorite, I'd love to hear it in the comments.

Method:
I like to debone the goat before I cook it or tear whole chunks off once it's cooked even though every time I've had it in a restaurant it has been chopped with the bones in.

over high heat, melt butter. Brown the goat meat. add garlic, ginger, and onion and saute for another min,

transfer to instant pot or slow cooker. add 2 cans of coconut milk,1 large can of crushed tomatoes, salt, and curry powder. I usually set the instant pot on manual mode, high pressure, for 2 hrs. Our goats were on the older side so they're tougher. If you have young goat or lamb it would probably be done in 45 min. If you're using a slow cooker i really have no ideal how long it will take. probably all day or overnight, but it will get the job done.

once it's done turn off the instant pot and release the pressure. Add raisins, chopped cashews, and cauliflower. Put the lid back on and put on manual mode, low pressure for another 10-15 min until the cauliflower is to your liking. Add more salt at the end if it needs it. If you're using a slow cooker, i would add the raisins and cashews about 1/2 hour before you plan to eat and steam the cauliflower before adding.

Serve over rice if you like. garnish liberally with chopped cilantro. We are trying to be paleo/primal right now so we don't eat the rice. originally we were making the curry without the cauliflower and serving it over cauliflower rice but this is easier and i actually like it better.



No comments:

Post a Comment