3.12.2016

Primal(ish) pancakes

I had been searching for a low carb pancake recipe for a while but they all turned out either too eggy or too crumbly. After some experimentation I was able to come up with one that works pretty well. It tastes about like a whole grain pancake. I'm guessing if you run all the ingredients through a food processor it might taste a little less grainy. Either way, they're pretty good.

I say that these are primal(ish) because one of the ingredient is psyllium husk. Psyllium husk is the main component in Metamucil. It makes things kinda gel and is the key to the texture of these pancakes. According to the primal guru (Mark Sisson) it's not strictly primal because it doesn't add any value. But these pancakes don't contain much and I don't eat them that often so I'm not overly concerned about it.

This recipe makes 3 medium sized pancakes. If we're all eating a full breakfast with bacon, omlette, yogurt, etc, this would maybe be enough for all of us. For just pancakes for everyone multiplication skills will be necessary.

Ingredients:
2 tbs almond flour
2 tbs coconut flour
1/2 tbs baking powder
1 heaping tbs psyllium husk
Pinch of salt

2 tbs melted butter
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
(Optional) Just a little sweetener of choice - stevia, erythritol, maple syrup, honey, whatever you like.

Method:
Mix dry ingredients together.
Stir in eggs and butter
Slowly add in milk until mixture is the consistency of a thick pancake batter. It may not take all of the milk. It may take a little more.

Fry it up over medium heat in butter or coconut oil. Flip when bubbles start to come to the surface.

top with whipped cream, maple syrup (low carb syrup if you're trying to lose weight), berries, whatever you like.

Unfortunately, I was halfway through my plate when I realized how much I liked these and wanted to keep the recipe so the picture isn't so pretty. But hey, looks aren't everything.




1 comment:

  1. Wow!! My friend "D" Chef!! I have no idea how this popped up on my phone but keep the low carbs coming my way!! And I assume you finished the bacon before the pancakes!!!

    ReplyDelete